Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Global Friends.


my work at a foreign mission enabled me to meet colleagues and counterparts from all over the world.  i’ve been fortunate to have seen and interacted with them personally.  four of these unique individuals, i’ve been closest to and have kept in touch since 2008 (the year i met them).

they come from china, switzerland and libya.  the bond among us four grew stronger with every story, milestone and difficulty shared.  i felt i’m the closest to them when i tell them about my country, my fellowmen and my family.  the world even seemed a smaller place when you have friends all over, when you get to hear the news straight from a local and when you are given a personal recount of what’s happening around.

i felt for the hongkong nationals slained during the luneta massacre august last year.  i personally expressed my apologies to lizzy, my friend from china.  though she sees and understands things beyond what the news shows, i felt i owe her an apology as a sign of respect for her fellowmen who perished in the hands of an anguished man.

then came the political turmoil in egypt and libya.  my friend emil, has been through a lot not only for his own safety and his family’s but also in the line of his duty.  i will forever admire his dedication and fortitude to remain in libya until the repatriation of our mission’s nationals have been completed.  this took precious time away from his family, who fled to egypt days before without him.  his country of origin, egypt, was still far from political recovery and stability when the upheaval in libya erupted.  my friends and i kept a close vigil of his whereabouts and remained on our toes for any news of his flee from libya. 

my other friend, stephan from geneva was the first one who had contacted me a day after the onslaught of ondoy.  i can remember how they commiserated with my situation and the whole philippines as well.

we’ve made our promise to see one another soon.  the bond we have is as strong as the ones i have with my friends close by.  the distance between us only strengthens the faith we have in our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment